You know when you have one of those days when nothing goes to plan! well that was me the other day, all my morning had been turned upside down, so I thought lets make to most of it and do something constructive. I’m not the best when it comes to cooking, I must admit! but have come on leaps and bounds since having my little man. I’ve always bought pizza’s in or bought the bases then added my own toppings, but never actually made one from scratch! until I saw this recipe on how to make a quick and easy fresh pizza ,so I though lets have a go! 🙂
This was my pizza dough bases before proving, I was so pleased with myself honestly I was grinning like a Cheshire cat! haha and couldn’t believe how easy they were to make, why have I never done this before now! ;). You have to picture the seen in my kitchen I’d been scrolling down for recipes that I thought I could do when I saw the Jamie Oliver recipe just pop out at me, then clicked on and thought that looks doable! then scrolled down further and saw “Gennaro’s perfect pizza recipe” clicked on the “watch” and there it was, my light bulb moment, I could do this! It was like having my very own personal cooking lesson in my kitchen with Gennaro and could pause and rewind whenever I needed to, Brilliant!
Ta Da! 🙂 I took this photo and sent it to my hubby and said made lunch, he was home in a minute haha. It was really easy to make and inexpensive to buy all the ingredients and tasted delicious so definitely a win win!
Ingredients For Pizza Dough
- 500g of strong white flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 sachet 7g of dried yeast
- 325mls of warm water
- small handful of fine ground semolina
Ingredients For Topping
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes or passata
- 2 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- parmesan cheese
- fresh mozzarella (50g per pizza)
- fresh basil
- Mix flour and salt in bowl
- Mix 7g sachet of yeast into the warm water and stir
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and salt and pour water and yeast in mix, using a fork slowly stir bringing the flour into the middle of the well until all the mixture comes together then use your hands to take all the mixture out of the bowl
- Add a little flour on your work surface and your hands and roll all the dough into a ball ready to start kneading.
- Then with the palm of your hand, and holding the other end with your other hand, pull the dough out and fold it in and do this a few times
- Then add a little more flour and roll with your hands into an even rectangular shape ready to cut into 4 even pieces, (approximately 150g each)
- Roll into 4 potions of dough
- Lightly sprinkle a coating of ground semolina on the bottom of a baking tray and place the 4 even dough balls on top ready to prove
- Put a little flour on top of the dough balls and cover with a damp cloth
- Rest in a warm place to prove for 2hrs
- After the dough has proved, and usually doubles in size, you’re ready to press the dough into your pizza shape, put a little flour on work surface press flat and turn it over lifting and stretching as you do it, do the same again until you have the shape and size you want, keep other dough balls covered with the damp cloth until ready to use.
- Use the tomatoes and add the finely chopped garlic for added flavour, or passata, for the base
- Add a little olive oil all over the base then add a sprinkling of grated parmesan, the fresh mozzarella and fresh basil leaves
- Put a little sprinkling of ground semolina on the bottom of the baking tray place the pizza on top ready to go in the oven at 220c/gas 8 for 7-10 mins until pizza is golden and crispy.
I then made the other bases and added the tomatoes and garlic, wrapped them in cling film and placed them in the freezer so I only need to add the toppings for when we fancy a pizza night!
As the pizza was soooo good we had it again for dinner the day after and got little man to lend a helping hand making his own topping!
The skies the limit to whatever topping you love, but the fresh bases made all the difference! and I’ll be definitely making them again soon! If your like me and would like to watch Gennaro do what he does best! here’s a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-SJGQ2HLp8
Have a fab weekend
Author: Mandy J McDonald
A UK Family Lifestyle & Days Out Blogger – Sharing our mini family adventures & my love for all home and garden inspirations with lots of tips & tricks!!!